Hey, I just learned that Rod Stewart and I have something in common: We both want to know if chicks want our bodies. Naw, just kidding: We both have seven children. Of course, he used serial polygamy to get his and Rousseau-like put one up for adoption, but hey, it’s quite an honor to have something in common with a future knight.
Nerds get the girl. Maybe there’s hope for me and a little serial polygamy yet.
All sorts of interesting articles at Ananova this morning:
Those crazy Romanians are at it again: Police are investigating after villagers in Romania claimed to see a Superman-like figure flying through the sky.
I’m throwing away my rubber boots: A Croatian motorbiker’s penis was zapped by lightning as he stopped beside the road to take a leak. . . . “Doctors said the lightning went through my body and because I was wearing rubber boots it earthed itself through my penis.”
New hero: A 72-year-old man with a wine purchase refuses to produce proof that he’s 21 years old. I understand the policy: “If we don’t card everyone, we end up on a slippery slope. Do we not card the 40-year-old? The 30-year-old? Eventually, we’ll end up making judgment calls and offending people. We might even discriminate!”
Well, deal with it in a rational manner. What the slippery slope chanters don’t realize is, everything is a slippery slope: Anything not reigned in with moderation can go too far. What the haters of discrimination don’t realize is, everyday life is full of discrimination: judgment calls, nuanced calls, irrational calls, emotional calls, reflex calls. People make simple decisions that are so complex in their formulation that we couldn’t flowchart them on a movie screen, and 99% of people make these decisions just fine. The other 1% are the mentally addled, and they can’t hold down a job. If a person is mentally normal enough to hold down a job, he ought to be given the discretion to decide that a 72-year-old man is over age 20.Bookmark it: del.icio.us | Reddit | Slashdot | Digg | Facebook | Technorati | Google | StumbleUpon | Window Live | Tailrank | Furl | Netscape | Yahoo | BlinkList
One Response to “Thursday Miscellany”