Among my store of historical esoterica that I use to entertain and disgust friends and families with my erudition and hauteur: Alexander the Great died of a hangover. It is one of those things that has long amused me.
And, occasionally, it’s been one of those things that have scared me, mostly when I have found myself in the throes after an evening of enjoyment.
But I might to remove that piece of historical furniture from the mind room. New evidence indicates Alexander the Great was poisoned.
Albeit with wine.
Bookmark it: del.icio.us | Reddit | Slashdot | Digg | Facebook | Technorati | Google | StumbleUpon | Window Live | Tailrank | Furl | Netscape | Yahoo | BlinkList
[T]he most plausible culprit was Veratrum album, known as white hellebore.
The white-flowered plant, which can be fermented into a poisonous wine, was well-known to the Greeks as a herbal treatment for inducing vomiting.
Crucially, it could have accounted for the 12 torturous days that Alexander took to die, speechless and unable to walk.